Monday, November 27, 2006

 

The Value of the Woman - Bhand Jamiyai Bhand Nimiyai

Today in Gurdwara as I was listening to the Gurbani and hearing the Guru’s words made me think about the state of Sikh women in the world of today. One of my favorite Shabads (Bhand Jamiyai Bhand Nimiyai) relating to women was played by Snatam Kaur. I thoroughly enjoyed singing as the voices of the sangat filled the Gurdwara; little Charanjeet Kaur in my lap listening and entranced in the Gurbani. Being a father of a girl and a husband I know the value of supporting the women in my family.

In this Shabad Guru Nanak so beautifully sums up the value of the woman.

"From woman, man is born; within woman, man is conceived; to woman he is engaged and married. Woman becomes his friend; through woman, the future generations come. When his woman dies, he seeks another woman; to woman he is bound. So why call her bad? From her, kings are born. From woman, woman is born; without woman, there would be no one at all. O Nanak, only the True Lord is without a woman. That mouth which praises the Lord continually is blessed and beautiful. O Nanak, those faces shall be radiant in the Court of the True Lord." - Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Aasaa on Pannaa 473





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?